3102 Posts in 504 Topics - by 54 Members - Latest Member: Terrordactyl

Author Topic: Required Reading-The Outfit's 1 Rule, defined.  (Read 1549 times)

StoneRhino

• Administrator
  • Emperor's Champion
  • Minister of Blood: Living on a prayer...
Required Reading-The Outfit's 1 Rule, defined.
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »
 The outfit has 1 rule. That rule is to just be cool. Most people understand what it means within the context of operating within a group that you choose to be a part of. Sometimes individuals do not know where the lines are drawn, which leads me to making an attempt to define the rule.

The outfit is run on the expectations that everyone can understand that we are all spending our free time to play games and are choosing to do so with the outfit. We are based upon American based values where individuals have the freedom to speak their mind, freedom to choose to play when and how they wish, and view each other as equals. At the same time the outfit has a structure and individuals are expected to respect it otherwise group cohesion and organization is lost.

Individuals do not gain a higher status because of their kill/death ratio. Members are not higher on any order because they have been around for X number of years, or because they are currently filling a higher role within the outfit during organized operations in game. Age, race, gender, income level, and any other aspect of one’s personal life does not elevate nor lowers a member’s status of being.

Individuals that are squad/group leads, regardless if they are random pick up squads/groups or squads/groups organized as part of an outfit operation have the responsibility to direct their groups, respond to their groups, and most important of all, respect their squad/group. Individuals that are unable to treat the groups in a respectful manner will not be allowed to run groups until they learn to do so properly.

Racism, it is rampant on the internet, but it has no place within the outfit. Do not expect that everyone is the same race as you because they are online, or because they sound a particular way. If you feel the need to make racist comments, regardless of who they are aimed at, you may leave on your own in order to avoid embarrassment of being kicked.

Trolling, keep your trolling outside of the outfit, that includes teamspeak, the forum, and in game text.

Sexism, or the attempt to belittle someone else based upon their sexual orientation, is not part of the rule of just be cool. Yes, females do play games so do not make us all look like backwards, uneducated, and threatened tools by attempting to talk down to a female gamer, or individual that is of a different sexual orientation. I understand that many people attack the masculinity of another individual, but purposely harassing someone that you know is of another orientation is a different story.

Griefing, the attempt to ruin the game time of an outfit member by team killing, taking potshots at, running over, talking trash to, and attempting to ruin their reputation among other players (outfit or external) is not cool. Activities not listed, but are used to ruin another member’s time in game, on the outfit, or on teamspeak is subject to the same punishment as those activities that are listed. If you would not want someone to do it to you, chances are it is going to be viewed as an attempt to grief the other member.

Hacking, it is not allowed. Tampering with the teamspeak server, the forums, or any “outfit property”, or the accounts of others(outfit or otherwise) is an automatic ban and any legal actions possible will be taken. We will also make sure to make aware as many other groups of your activities so that they can protect themselves by keeping you at arms distance. If you cannot respect the personal property, digital or physical, of others then you need not be here. To clarify, we do not condone the hacking, regardless of method employed, of other groups or random players “property”. Doing so will result in a ban from the outfit.

Hacking of the game, any game, is a bannable offense. It does not matter if you are doing it for fun, that you can turn it off and on as you please. It does not matter if it is not directly resulting in you gaining additional kills, points, gear, it is not allowed. Outfit members that are caught hacking will be immediately removed and reported to the game’s operators. The outfit wins and loses upon its own capabilities, not because someone can find a way to hack the game.

Ageism, the age of an individual means little. Older members should avoid attempting to insult younger players. Younger players need to realize that you will likely be like the older members in what seems to be a blink of an eye +1day. Being older or younger then someone else does not give you a higher status then the other members.

Outfit information, anything that is said within outfit chat, in game, on teamspeak, on the forums, or any other form of outfit communication is to remain within the outfit. Individuals that are caught or known to leak outfit information, may be banned. This is not only in reference to outfit operations in game, but the information that individuals share within the outfit. Outfit communications should be a place where individuals feel that they can discuss what they want as they want within the outfit’s rule. Outsiders may attempt to use anything they can get ahold of in an effort to discredit, and or harass an outfit member.

No one other then yourself is allowed to use your teamspeak and forum credentials. If you allow friends or family to play any game in which you are a member of this outfit, have them do so on a different character that is not associated with the outfit. Protecting your login credentials is your responsibility and failure to do so may still be a bannable offense depending upon the results of your incompetent actions.

Any attempt to acquire the login credentials of other players, outfit or otherwise, is a bannable offense. No one is to ask for such, regardless of position. The same is true of outside information and or accounts including email and social media, for example.

Individuals are responsible for what they say, post, and link within outfit communications. Posting or saying, or in any other way of expressing information that is illegal will force us to report such information to the proper authorities in order to protect the outfit from being dragged into your bullshit.

Terrorism, other then that used against the vanu and terran maggots in game and within the context of the game, is not allowed and is a bannable offense.

Saying or doing certain shit that is not listed above is still potential for being banned, busted down, or being mocked as this is the first draft of the definition of the outfit’s only rule. The rule was designed to make the outfit a place where you can have fun, kill shit (in game), and relax without the stress that other outfits have. Having a sense of humor is a necessity.

Mezorin

• NC Special Forces
Re: Required Reading-The Outfit's 1 Rule, defined.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 01:03:34 AM »
Good definition, and generally being cool and not a dick is a good rule in life to live by in general, not just here.  The hacking especially should be zero tolerance, as it makes everyone else look bad as well regardless of skill. 

Ch1neseGhost

• Resident Jiang Shi
  • NC Special Forces
  • Bein' drunk don't make ya invincible, ya know!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »
Do not expect that everyone is the same race as you because they are online

Wait, you mean you aren't all Chinese?   ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:47:06 PM by LordReaver, Reason: Mwuahahahaha!! »

Ch1neseGhost

• Resident Jiang Shi
  • NC Special Forces
  • Bein' drunk don't make ya invincible, ya know!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:46:50 PM »

And why wasn't I logged in?   :-X

I thought all that extra stuff was a weird precaution...

And yeah, sense of humor is always required.  As is being Chinese.  Probably.   :))

StoneRhino

• Administrator
  • Emperor's Champion
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »

And yeah, sense of humor is always required.  As is being Chinese.  Probably.   :))

That may have to do with something regarding updating of the forum. As for being Chinese, its no problem, but if you are a chick then its a bonus. ;)

LordReaver

• Administrator
  • Emperor's Champion
  • BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD EMPEROR!
    • lordreaver.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:45:44 PM »

Sounds like your cookie was deleted/expired. Since I am all powerful..ful..ful..ful..ful..., I shall grant you credit for the post.

Mezorin

• NC Special Forces
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 11:14:34 PM »
If I was Chinese, my sniping would improve to "Asian" level and I'd get kicked off every server I ever played on for being too good.  Probably for the best.

In all seriousness, one of my biggest piss offs in online stuff is the way people will berate race, sex, sexual orientation, or what ever.  I have very good friends (one of whom is basically my best friend) who won't use mic or mention who they are in real life fear of people giving them non stop crap.  Online gaming should be the ultimate meritocracy, but often its more discriminatory than the real world in terms of this sort of thing. 

StoneRhino

• Administrator
  • Emperor's Champion
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 12:11:51 AM »
If I was Chinese, my sniping would improve to "Asian" level and I'd get kicked off every server I ever played on for being too good.  Probably for the best.

In all seriousness, one of my biggest piss offs in online stuff is the way people will berate race, sex, sexual orientation, or what ever.  I have very good friends (one of whom is basically my best friend) who won't use mic or mention who they are in real life fear of people giving them non stop crap.  Online gaming should be the ultimate meritocracy, but often its more discriminatory than the real world in terms of this sort of thing.

It depends upon who is on. I have played on some counterstrike servers where there was a female gamer on voice who managed to make another player mad. His sexual comments towards her, in an obvious attempt to belittle her, got him blasted by all of the regulars on that particular server to the point that the offending player left within five minutes.

At the same time, anyone making a comment about how she did something, that was completely void of gender still managed to illicit a barrage of hate from the males that were regulars on that server. She was a decent player at best, but because individuals form cliques online as they do in person it can set off a reaction regardless of how fair the criticism was.

It is basically to be expected as people are social animals that are tribal in nature. You offend someone of their tribe and the rest of them are going to be on your case until you are driven off. We cannot change how people are going to behave, but we can make conscious decisions in how we behave as individuals and as a group. The goal is to have a group that is capable of diversity without having to force it, or focus much upon it. If someone blows up and says something offensive, based upon anything other then the other person's performance in game, chances are they will have a chance to cool off, apologize, and work on their shit so it does not happen again. Repeat offenders, or those that have no regard for others are going to be looking for a new outfit.

Mezorin

• NC Special Forces
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 02:23:22 AM »
More than fair enough.  I've had the benefit of running with some great groups in City of Heroes and Champions Online where the girl members of the gang are just that, and everyone plays to have fun.  You still hear about the horror stories in FPSes especially, the whole topic of how gaming has issues with this is probably beyond anything that could be described in the course of a thread.  The fact that we're choosing to generally take a "don't be an asshole" stance on the issue of race/sex/orientation/religion/etc unlike some outfits is great, and I whole heartily approve. 

StoneRhino

• Administrator
  • Emperor's Champion
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 03:22:13 AM »
Its not about what you are, or even how many kills you have in game, it is about who you are as a person that matters.

FrozenIceMan

• Battletech
  • NC Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 04:53:15 PM »
Hello Stone Rhino,

Good set of rules.  As requested posting to where I am able. 

1.  I can respond to but not make any posts in the welcome room.
2.  I can not post or reply in the Support Forum
3.  News and Announcements I can respond but not make any Posts.
4.  Mechwarrior and Battletech I can read but can not post nor reply to any thread